HOW TO MAKE MY ULTIMATE CARROT CAKE
This is my favourite recipe for carrot cake! It’s my most requested bake. The kids love it!!
So, since today has turned into an unexpected day off and my own kids are in need of amusement. I’ve decided today needs a carrot cake. (Doesn’t every day?)
Ok, So Let’s Give It A Go.
You need a large jug and a bowl for this mix. I use this one. It’s amazing and so easy to clean. Rayware Mason Cash Can S12 Mixing Bowl, 29 cm
6 fl oz. Corn Oil (Any oil will do, but I’ve always used this one)
6oz Caster Sugar
3 Medium Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla
6oz Plain Flour
1tsp Bicarb Powder(baking soda)
1tsp Baking Powder
2 tsp Cinnamon
4oz Crushed Walnuts
8oz Grated Carrots
METHOD TO MAKE HOW TO MAKE MY ULTIMATE CARROT CAKE
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and grease a large cake tin. I normally line our tin with a circle of grease proof paper.
2. In the jug, mix the sugar and oil together, it’ll be thick and sloppy.
3. Add the eggs and vanilla then mix together.
4. Now, in the bowl, mix together the flour, bicarb, baking powder, vanilla, cinnamon, and crushed walnuts.
5. Grate your carrots now, then squeeze out as much juice as you can before adding the carrots to your jug of oil, eggs and sugar.
6. Once mixed, add half of the wet mix to the dry bowl. Mix together then add the rest. It should look very sloppy and a light coffee colour at this point.
7. Place in the hot oven and bake for 1 hour 10 minutes before testing with a skewer.
Once ready the skewer will come out clean.
Leave to cool.
The cake can then be frozen, wrapped in cling film, if it’s needed for another day.
Take it out the night before you want to eat it then once it’s at room temp you can ice it as normal.
This carrot cake is also great if done in loaf tins and sliced for kid’s snacks after school. Muffins are a great idea too. The baking time for the muffins is around 35 minutes but it will depend on your oven. So keep an eye.
To make the icing…
3oz creamed cheese (soft)
2oz margarine (soft to room temp)
1 tsp vanilla
4oz icing sugar (sifted so it doesn’t have lumps)
Mix everything together till it’s a firm creamy consistency. Put in the fridge to chill if it’s a little too soft.
Put It All Together
Slice the cake in half through the middle and spread half of the icing. Put the top on the spread and the rest of the icing on top.
I like to put 10 walnut halves on top to decorate the cake
To make a loaf instead, I divide the mix into to 2lb loaf tins and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour (keep checking)
Then, I just spread the icing on the top when they’rs cool.
It’s As Easy As That!
So, what do you think? Give it a try and let me know what you think in the comments! I juat love hearing from you all.
If you’d like to grow your own and fancy trying it for this recipe just have a look at my growing guides